Unit 1: Boot Camp
Foundational Design: Theory and Practice Boot Camp
This will be a unit that examines “art” as the relationships among skills, ideas, and culture. We will do exercises and readings that look at each component and how each component relates to the others.
- Develop an understanding of how meaning in art is generated through exposure to aesthetic and critical theory and interrogate the relationship between the artist, the art, and the viewer;
- Begin to understand the basic historical and contemporary developments in art, and be able to talk about how your own work is situated in and relates to these developments;
- Develop an understanding of the principles and elements of design and begin to apply them effectively in your own work;
- Develop a vocabulary of the principles and elements of design and the ability to use it in discussing and writing about art.
- Understand the various critical approaches that posit where meaning in an artwork resides: with the author (Artist), the viewer, and/or the piece itself.
Project: Tyvek Suit